Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Clarification of JBomb's Earlier Post (Which is a great conversation starter, by the way)...


Funny how my comments might be viewed with a question mark or two (not to mention raised eyebrows)..if anyone read your post without a bit of context clarification on my part. I did discuss redundancy in education, but from a current methods perspective versus what schools look like even maybe in a dozen or so years....My point, to be clear, is that it is my opinion that my role as a classroom teacher will change dramatically during the course of the 20+ years I have left until my retirement. I really believe that things like internet connectivity are being taking for granted (good or bad), and that this connectivity will have serious implications for the delivery of (for example) secondary school mathematics content intstruction. My point was NOT that I'll be replaced by a computer or a robot (which I think is really silly), but that my role as a teacher is becoming less and less a "lecture/teach everybody the same thing" teacher, and more and more a "personal learning manager"...I see a future where younger and younger kids start to become more and more responsible for their own educations, by deciding what they're good at, what they love, and more importantly, what they need to get better at, and have a professional (like me) to interact with daily to build skills in a variety of areas to make our society / civilization better ....


Grandiose? Naive? Probably, but I'd love to have this discussion with students or anyone else for that matter........




RM

1 comment:

Ponty said...

Mr. Max i think your pie in the sky thing is you saying that this is just something getting thrown out there to see if anyone will disagree or agree with you just what i think though i could be way wrong but im just putting it out there...to be honest with you it makes sense what your saying i dont think there will be as big of need for teachers in the future.